Re: delete-selection-mode on viper

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode on viper
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:17:58 +0800

Here are steps I would take to try to trouble-shoot in Emacs.

emacs -Q
<C-h>fdelete-selection-mode
<C-x>o<tab><enter>

Reading commentary at beginning of source ...

This seems promising:

;; Commands which will delete the selection need a 'delete-selection
;; property on their symbols; commands which insert text but don't
;; have this property won't delete the selection.

google "emacs how to set property on command"

Find out

put is a built-in function in `C source code'.

(put SYMBOL PROPNAME VALUE)

Store SYMBOL's PROPNAME property with value VALUE.
It can be retrieved with `(get SYMBOL PROPNAME)'.

Fire up viper mode (I don't use it).

<C-h>k[paste key cord]

Jot down what the command name.  Try something like:

(put '[viper-paste-func]  'delete-selection t)

<C-x><C-e>

See if it worked.  If it did, add the "(put ..." line to your .emacs.el