RE: apropos-documentation fails all the time

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: apropos-documentation fails all the time
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 07:16:51 -0800

> There is
> something in my site wide initialisation that is conflicting with
> apropos-do-all obviously.  Unfortunately, I have way too many packages
> (all from Debian repositories, mind you) to even begin figuring out
> where to look.

Treat your site-wide initialization like you would treat your .emacs.

Use emacs -Q, but copy your top-level site init file locally.  Load that file
explicitly, when you start Emacs up (e.g. -l switch, or M-x load-file after
startup), but first comment-out half of the file.  Then comment out 1/4, then
1/8,... until you find what part of the site init file is problematic.  Binary
search that way is very quick.

Then report the problem to your site admin or if you have permissions fix it
yourself.