Re: insert name of current file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: insert name of current file
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:15:13 +1100

Gradivus <mondifero@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry I'm a noob.
>
> I wonder if someone knows how I can insert the current file's name
> (i.e., the name of the file I'm editing) at the cursor, and without the full
> path.

I use tempo templates, which I bind to a key. When opening a new file,
hitting the template key inserts the template, which includes the
filename of the current file (along with other information). I also use
the timestamp package so that when I save the file, the last modified
date is updated. The template uses the comment-start variable so that
the inserted text is prefixed with the appropriate comment character for
the mode being used. The code is attached below.

Tim

;;;
;;;      Filename: 55tempo.el
;;; Creation Date: Wednesday, 30 April 2003 11:41 AM EST
;;; Last Modified: Saturday, 19 July 2008 12:44 PM EST
;;;        Author: Tim Cross
;;; This file contains some tempo templates for setting file headers.
;;;

(require 'tempo)

(tempo-define-template "generic-header"
        '((format "%s" comment-start)
          "      Filename: " (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-file-name)) 'n
          (format "%s" comment-start) " Creation Date: "
          (format-time-string "%A, %d %B %Y %I:%M %p %Z") 'n
          (format "%s" comment-start) " Last Modified: " 'n
          (format "%s" comment-start)
          "        Author: Tim Cross <tcross@une.edu.au>" 'n
          (format "%s" comment-start) "   Description:" 'n
          (format "%s" comment-start) 'n
          'n))

;;; Lets setup some key bindings.

(global-set-key [(f5)] 'tempo-template-generic-header)

(provide 'tc-template)

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au