How to get web browsing functionality in emacs 23?

From: guivho
Subject: How to get web browsing functionality in emacs 23?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:15:09 +0100

Hi,

I am running GNU Emacs 23.2.92.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.35) of 2011-01-15 on OSX 10.6
obtained from http://emacsformacosx.com/

I would like to browse certain web pages from within emacs and did not
find working browser functionality within the downloaded package.

When trying good old but slow M-x w3 emacs barks
 'font-default-size-for-device: Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil'

So I thought about trying emacs-w3m. I installed w3m and it works fine
from within a terminal.

When installing emacs-w3m, it complains about missing apel and flim
and missing load-file subst-ksc

I can hardly believe that I have to go through all that trouble to get
a working browser within emacs. Before I loose more time with this,
I'd like to hear some advise from the list.

Surely, I can't be the only emacs guy that wants e.g. to read www
based documentation from within emacs...

So any help would be most welcome,

TIA, Guivho.