Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature of Emacs?

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:11:47 -0600

This may only work in 23+, but I enable subword-mode in
some buffers to deal with the camelCase naming convention.

What this does is lets you quickly navigate within identifiers.
M-f and M-b now will move forward and backward within words like
the following:

aVariableNamedLikeThis
 ^       ^    ^   ^

There is also glasses-mode that overlays characters within the
buffer between the subwords, but I couldn't get used to that.

Oh, and also:

  (mouse-avoidance-mode 'cat-and-mouse)

Le Wang wrote:
Hi all,

If you're like me, you get comfortable in your own Emacs workflow and just let your fingers do the walking all the time. That's why Emacs is great. Maybe you can think about your muscle memorized actions and pick out the single most useful function (whether a part of Emacs or in an addon package) that you don't think is well publicized and share it with us?

I'll get the ball rolling: C-x C-/ `session-jump-to-last-change' defined in session.el - http://emacs-session.sourceforge.net/

Obviously it jumps to the location of last change in the current buffer. But the cool thing, is you can invoke it repeatedly to revisit all the locations in the current buffer where you've made a change. The function works by analyzing the undo list, and it's light weight and unobtrusive (unlike highlight-changes-mode).

Your turn.
--
Le