Re: Current Emacs Development

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Current Emacs Development
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:25:53 -0500

> I lurk on emacs-devel, and apparently Tom Tromey has a multi-threading
> branch that is getting ready to be merged to trunk.  In fact, I think
> that it would be merged already, but they've had issues with the Windows
> build stuff.

That's not quite what is happening.  There is a concurrency branch that
provides a proof-of-concept implementation of
cooperative multithreading.  Tom is working on updating the branch to be
in sync with the current trunk, and he's also working on including the
refactoring part of that branch into the trunk, so that the concurrency
branch is easier to maintain while still being outside of the trunk.

We had plans to possibly include the concurrency branch into 24 as an
experimental feature.  It's still not clear whether that will happen
or not.  I'm personally more concerned with merging the lexical-scoping
branch for Emacs-24 (and I think lexical-scoping is an important
prerequisite for concurrency), but that also needs some more work.

        Stefan