Inspecting integer, float values from hexl-mode

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Inspecting integer, float values from hexl-mode
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:20:04 +0100

Hello,

I'm inspecting a binary file with hexl-mode. I need to select some bytes
and then be able to interpret their value as integer, or as float. I was
wondering if there is a method for doing this since it seems that
hexl-mode doesn't do that by default.

In case there isn't one, I suppose I would have to code my method
calling the external `od' program to interpret the values. The problem
here would be how to compute the offset for the binary file that the
selected region in emacs is representing.

Thanks,

--
Alberto