Shell prompt messed up

From: Michael Kirsch
Subject: Shell prompt messed up
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:12:06 -0500

The prompt in the shell (the one that comes up when I enter M-x shell) isn't right.

My normal prompt looks like this, and is colored bright green using ANSI escape codes:

username:directory$

But the prompt looks like this in Emacs:

^[]0;username@hostname:/full/path/to/directory^Gusername:directory$

The part after the ^G looks like my normal prompt, and still has the bright green color. The ^[ and ^G are highlighted, so I guess they are non-printable chars. The part between the ^[ and ^G is dark blue.

How do I fix it?