Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs

From: Perry Wagle
Subject: Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 19:33:40 -0800

I'm starting now to work seriously on fixing this, and re-reading the previous
understand why there was a problem.  So me fixing it wouldn't stick.  Let me
try again in hopes of achieving agreement:

In emacs, I double click on a word with mouse-1.  This highlights it.  If I
then mouse-2, its pasted at the mouse cursor.  No problem.

But if I double click on a word, highlighting it, and press control-S, this
starts a "dialog" at the bottom of the screen where *what you type is captured*
to give it text to search for.  But if you then press mouse-2, the search mode
is *aborted*, and the highlighted text is pasted at the mouse cursor.

I think the highlighted text should be pasted in the dialog at the bottom of
the screen, which is already capturing keyboard events.  Xemacs does it that
way, and has been doing it for over a decade, and its very quick and natural.

Does anyone think emacs should work as it does now?  Why would you want to have
it abort the search mode?  Why not capture mouse events the same as keyboard
events?

Am I making more sense now?

-- Perry