Re: Keyboard goes dead

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: Keyboard goes dead
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:50:06 -0500

On 02/05/2011 05:43 PM, Tim X wrote:
Ken Goldman<kgold@watson.ibm.com>  writes:

23.1.1 on Linux x86, 64bit

Has anyone seen this:

About once a day, the keyboard becomes inactive within emacs.  The mouse works,
and the keyboard works outside emacs.

It seems to happen right after I do a grep or compile and try to do a
next-error.

Sometimes, I can recover by hitting return in the compile or grep window.  When
I do that, the messages window appears, and anything that I typed in the other
windows is processed.

Other times, I have to kill emacs.

Ctrl-G doesn't have any effect, nor does ESC-ESC-ESC.

Any clues?  Anything to try?

No cannot think of what it might be and I don't see this behavior.
However, you could try enabling "enter debugger on quit" in the options
menu and see if hitting C-g gies you a backtrace next time this occurs -
may narrow down the possible cause or give you something to work with.

I did as you recommended, but it didn't help. C-g didn't enter the debugger. I assume that's because emacs isn't processing the C-g or any other keyboard character.

Other ideas?