Re: Apple Events

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Apple Events
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:49:33 -0600

On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:30 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 14.02.2011 um 21:31 schrieb Perry Smith:
>
>> I went and downloaded emacs-22.3 and it has mac-win.el and also has mac.c.
>
> I made a mistake by forgetting the URL to the eMail thread:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/113590.
>
> The FTP server I mentioned has a developed mac-win.el file. It can be found
> for example in emacs-23.2.93-mac-1.9991.tar.gz.

Fantastic.  I got it working.

One thing I love about the emacs-23 --with-ns is that it puts all the goodies
into Emacs.app.  So, I called configure with:

./configure --with-mac --enable-mac-app
--prefix=/usr/local/src/emacs-23.2/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources
--exec_prefix=/usr/local/src/emacs-23.2/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS

In my case, the build directory was /usr/local/src/emacs-23.2.  I haven't used
it much but it appears that things are in the right place.

And I got my "txmt" URLs to pop me into emacs.

I'll put together a more complete how to for the Rails guys.  They may not want
to use a modified emacs but at least they will have a choice.

One question: is there any effort to get this work moved into the standard
distribution.  I'm a little confused with all this.  Seems like emacs-22 stock
had it but now emacs-23 doesn't in favor of the Next Step method.  I don't know
enough about the Mac to understand it all.  It just seems like understanding
Apple Events is a nice feature to have.

Anyhow, thank you once again.

Perry