Re: Running Programs from Inside Emacs

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Running Programs from Inside Emacs
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:28:03 +0100

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2011-02-17 15:09, despen@verizon.net wrote:
>> IMO, better is to use the Makefile.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> helloworld.test: helloworld
>>          ./helloworld
>>
> But if your './helloworld' is interactive console app and it ask you
> for input you get can not pass input to it.
>
> Or this possible in comiplation-mode?

No it is not.  For console applications, I advised to use M-x shell in
that case, but there are other ways.

In emacs, you can use M-x term if the program
uses curses or in general terminal control codes beyond the dumbest
CR-LF.

Or, outside of emacs, you can launch your program via xterm or some
other terminal emulator:

    helloworld.test: helloworld
        xterm -e ./helloworld