Re: swapping C-x and C-j reliably for ergonomic reasons

From: Aaron Culich
Subject: Re: swapping C-x and C-j reliably for ergonomic reasons
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:25:39 -0800

Le Wang said the following on 19/02/11 04:57:
> Hi,
>
> I do this from my .emacs.el:
>
> (keyboard-translate ?\C-x ?\C-j)
> (keyboard-translate ?\C-j ?\C-x)

The keyboard-translate command doesn't do quite what you expect of it. It
merely sets the keyboard-translate-table variable that represents the ASCII
table, so what happens is that the ASCII character 10 (LF) gets swapped with
the ASCII character 24 (CAN). You can run 'C-h v keyboard-translate-table' to
check that yourself.

To accomplish what you want to do you can use:

(global-set-key "\C-j" ctl-x-map)
(global-set-key "\C-x" 'newline-and-indent)