Re: sgml-validate

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: sgml-validate
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:25:04 +0600

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:21, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> I had hoped I would be able to put somewhere in my .html file
> some version of
> <entity-defs>
>  ge #x2265
> </entity-defs>
> But I see from your reply that this will not be possible.

In fact, in an XML document you should be able to specify an internal
subset in your document type declaration:

<!DOCTYPE html
     PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"; [
<!ENTITY ge "&#x2265;">
]>

Any conforming XML parser should then understand &ge; in the rest of
the document, along with the built-in &lt;, &gt;, &amp;, &quot;, and
&apos;. Whether the web browsers use conforming XML parsers is an
entirely different matter.