Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:40:23 +0100

Am 24.02.2011 um 20:05 schrieb guivho:

When I try to list the home directory on my website with C-x C-d
/ftp.vanhoecke.org:vanhoecke/www.vanhoecke.org/web/content ange-ftp
immediately starts to access the remote ftp server as soon as I type
the ':', but it fails

I think you think that you are using ange-ftp – but it's actually TRAMP. TRAMP has a different syntax:

        C-x d /METHOD:USER@HOST/path/to/whatever RET

The @ as part of your user name confuses TRAMP. Maybe it helps to enter guido.vanhoecke\@vanhoecke.org...

        C-h i m tramp s filename RET

--
Greetings

  Pete

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
                – Bill Watterson, in his comic strip Calvin and Hobbes