Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:00:40 +0600

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 01:05, guivho <news@vanhoecke.org> wrote:

> ftp> get ~ /dev/null
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||5504|)
> 550 The system cannot find the file specified.

I believe the client is trying to get at the server's notion for the
user's home directory by requesting a file named ~. However, in
Windowsland the idea of a user's home is a little different, and the ~
is not treated specially -- it is just a filename. So Windows says
there's no such file.

Intuitively, I would try putting a / immediately after the :, so that
the whole URL is unambiguously relative to the server root, not to the
user's home directory on the server. I might be wrong, having never
used ange-ftp.