Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: rusi
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:01:37 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 25, 11:54 pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:

> My view is that the defaults should remain very stable indeed, (but not
> totally frozen).  At the same time I have an extensive .emacs.

Maybe one basic/generic kind of personality/emacsicality would be say
for emacs 23 to 'become' emacs 22 or 21 etc.  IOW the 'totally frozen'
should be an available option.  I say this because recently there was
a fireball (supernova?) with Mark Crispin getting upset with visual-
line-mode changing basic newline behavior.  On the one hand the new is
generally accepted to be better behavior, on the other it broke old
code.  Maybe being able to say:

$ emacs23  --emacsicality=emacs22 ...

would be good to have?

[I personally would like more progress even at the cost of more
breakage a la Xah.  Just exploring if a win-win is possible...]

Heres a possible list of emacsicalities:
emacs22, emacs21
cua
dvorak
xemacs?