Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:58:33 +0000

On 2011-02-27 17:28:50 +0000, Julian Bradfield said:

Articles are not typically published with "bugs" and then later
republished without them. Typical articles are published once and then
that's it.

You're not an academic, are you?

This is nothing to do with being an academic. What happens when, for instance, a novel is being published? The author sends it to the publisher, who sends back a copy with various changes, which the author then either accepts, accepts in some modified form, or rejects. This process is then iterated several times. I've not written a novel, but I know people who have reasonably recently, and they did it using the revision-tracking stuff in Word. Unquestionably a proper revision-control system would have been better (the critical thing is a visual diff tool).