Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Cthun
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:09:24 -0500

On 01/03/2011 1:18 AM, rusi wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:32 am, Jim Janney<jjan...@shell.xmission.com>  wrote:
Cthun<cthun_...@qmail.net.au>  writes:
First of all, the purpose of a version control system is to manage
text that's compilable by build tools

That's a bit like saying that the purpose of Usenet is pointless
bickering; while that is one of the uses to which it's commonly put,
it's hardly the only one

What does Janney's classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, rusi? Saying version control is for novels is like saying the purpose of Usenet is pointless bickering, rusi; saying it's for source code is like saying the purpose of Usenet is for discussion. Janney's mistake is rather ironic, though, considering his own considerable recent contributions to the misuse of Usenet for pointless bickering, rusi.

Historically, sccs tracked source and could not manage much else, in
particular binary files were a problem.

What does that have to do with Lisp, rusi?

This was 40 years ago.

What does that have to do with Lisp, rusi?

With rcs this stopped being true and it has been so for some 30 odd
years.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, rusi?

git is the most radical shift away from version control systems as
managing (source code) versions to generally managing content.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, rusi? I see that of a random sampling of github projects, all appear to be software source code development, rusi. Suffering from reading comprehension problems, rusi?

 From http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=111314792424707

In many ways you can just see git as a filesystem - it's content-
addressable, and it has a notion of versioning, but I really really
designed it coming at the problem from the viewpoint of a _filesystem_
person (hey, kernels is what I do), and I actually have absolutely
_zero_
interest in creating a traditional SCM system.  -- Linus Torvalds

What does any of that have to do with Lisp, rusi?