Re: F2

From: despen
Subject: Re: F2
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 15:05:44 -0500

TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd@aol.com> writes:

>> Note that you can see if a key is 'free' by using C-h b to list all
>> current key bindings.
>>
>> If you find, after defining a key using either define-key global-map or
>> global-set-key, that the key doesn't seem to work, it is likely that
>> your global key binding is being over shadowed by a local key binding.
>> Using C-h b can help to show what maybe going on.  It is important to
>> remember that key maps work in aa sort of hierarchy and that global
>> definitions can be overridden (including cleared) by local key maps.
>
> Yes, thanks, that appears to be my problem. I am editing an html file
> and I see bindings for F2 as:
>

> `2C-mode' Minor Mode Bindings:
>
> key             binding
> ---             -------
>
> C-x   Prefix Command
> <f2>  Prefix Command
>
> <f2> RET      2C-newline
> <f2> 1        2C-merge
> <f2> d        2C-dissociate
> <f2> o        2C-associated-buffer
> <f2> {        2C-shrink-window-horizontally
> <f2> |        2C-toggle-autoscroll
> <f2> }        2C-enlarge-window-horizontally
>

> In the *scratch* buffer, the global binding I have set for F2 shows
> up, which I guess is why I thought the problem had disappeared (and
> later returned). The key works in *scratch* as I want but not in the
> html file buffer.

My F2 key in an HTML buffer continues to try to find the next error.
Maybe you are using a different HTML mode?

Anyway, find the keymap the HTML buffer is using and change that.

It's a bit confusing, Emacs has these commands that change GLOBAL
things, but that doesn't change GLOBAL behavior.  The global bindings
really just set defaults.