Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Cthun
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:30:00 -0500

On 01/03/2011 12:39 PM, Jim Janney wrote:
k'Chu <cthun_117@qmail.net.au>

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

On 28/02/2011 11:32 PM, Jim Janney wrote:
And you get less for it.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with Lisp, Janney? And it remains true that using SVN to "develop" a
novel is like using a hammer to insert a screw, Janney.

Since good news cannot be too often repeated, I will recap

What does your recap have to do with Lisp, Janney?

You don't need to set up your router/firewall to hide the server

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? Not hiding an open port from the Internet is an open invitation to hackers, Janney.

(you don't need a server)

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? How can you connect to the version repository to check files in and out if you aren't running the repo's server, Janney?

You don't have to set up the loopback interface port for the server to
use

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? The version control client (used to check files in and out of the repo) needs a port to connect to, Janney.

(you don't need a server).

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? How can you connect to the version repository to check files in and out if you aren't running the repo's server, Janney?

You don't have to point the client at the server

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? The version control client (used to check files in and out of the repo) needs to know where to connect to, Janney.

(you don't need a server).

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? How can you connect to the version repository to check files in and out if you aren't running the repo's server, Janney?

You don't have to put any numbers on a command line

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney? Version control clients are generally shell commands, Janney, e.g. cvs and svn. IDEs like Eclipse and NetBeans may provide graphical front ends to common version control systems, Janney, but such IDEs are only applicable if you're using the version control system for its intended purpose of software development, Janney.

(Emacs handles that for you in the few cases it's required).

How ironic. Emacs has a steeper learning curve than any of the other software that's been discussed here, Janney; consequently, using emacs cannot possibly make any of these tasks easier.

You don't have to do any of that with RCS.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

You don't have to do any of that with CVS.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

You don't have to do any of that with Subversion.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

You don't have to do any of that with git.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

You don't have to do any of that with Mercurial.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

You can do these things if you want to, but none of them are required.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Janney?

With RCS, all you have to do is type

    ci filename

So much for your claims regarding it not being a command-line tool, Janney.

In any case, it's a poor tool that can only be used as its designer
intended.

That a well-designed screwdriver might, in a pinch, be slammed into a nail to drive it in does not make it preferable to a hammer for that purpose, Janney.

And an even poorer mind that can only imagine one use for something
as versatile as version control.

What does your classic erroneous presupposition have to do with Lisp, Janney? I can imagine it just fine -- I just don't like the results I see when I imagine it. Diffs that are gobbledygook when you try to check the history of your .doc files. Awkward work at 80s-retro command line interfaces. The hellish experience of struggling with emacs's idiosyncrasies trying to get it to do anything useful. Of such things are my nightmares composed, Janney -- I who can face the likes of Cthulhu with equanimity.