Starting a new cvs repo in VC

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Starting a new cvs repo in VC
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 02:54:25 -0700

This is possible a cvs question, rather than an Emacs
specific question.  I an not too familiar with version
control systems.  I have used RCS from VC some time agp.
Now I would like to start a new cvs repo for a directory
full of files.  What I have read made me think I needed to
visit a file and then do C-x v v and complete on the name of
the vcs backend.  But when I try this and tab for
completion, the list of backends does not include CVS.  I
gather that there used to be a function 'vc-cvs-create-repo
that was hooked in here, but no more (?)  In any case, while
this is from a very recent bzr checkout of Emacs 24, I think
it's much more likely that I am doing something wrong than
that it is a bug; hence I am asking about it here.

I am really unfamiliar with this stuff, but for what it's
worth:

(getenv "CVSROOT") ==> "/home/thorne/bu-cvsroot"

and have done cvs -d /bu-cvsroot init

Is there anything else I need to make sure of?