Re: rectangle mode selection

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: rectangle mode selection
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 14:11:15 -0600

rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 22, 9:50 pm, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Talking with a friend we got to this conclusion, emacs has very cool
>> rectangle commands, but they're hard to "see".
>>
>> I mean in other editors you can really select a rectangle and then
>> work with it, with emacs you have to compute it yourself.
>>
>> It would be great if at least when I select some text, the area that
>> represents the rectangle has a slightly different color
>> than the rest of the selected text.
>>
>> Would that be somehow possible?
> Seen this?
>
> http://vimeo.com/1168225?pg=embed&sec=1168225

This is kind of an old thread now, but I just got around to watching
and trying to do like in the video there.

I don't see anything like that behavior so assuming I haven't set
something.

Posters/bloggers there seem to be pretty ecstatic about it so I must be doing
something wrong.

In the video there is no mention of any special mode other than
cua-mode.

I hear no sound so assuming there is none..

When I emulate the video by creating an html file and enter cua-mode,
I don't see anything even vaguely like what occurs in the video.  No
rectangle is selected, no block entries or motions seem possible,
etc.

Then near the end, the whole thing about `start values [...] ' is not
engaged with any visible command or the like but I see nothing like
that here.

  Using emacs version below here:
  emacs-24 (bzr of 2 days ago).