Re: spacing of ls output in emacs shell

From: Strozzi, David J.
Subject: Re: spacing of ls output in emacs shell
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 10:25:56 -0800

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I warn you that I am an emacs "user" and not
"master."  I put these exact lines in my .emacs, restarted, did M-x shell,
ls, same thing - tabs appear in the ls output, and emacs interprets them
as giving about 4 spaces.

Is there something else I need to do to enable this?

I don't understand lisp, so I am not smart enough to think of what I need
to do to adapt this to my environment.

Thanks,
Dave