Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 02:38:00 +0100

brendan.halpin@ul.ie (Brendan Halpin) writes:

> On Sun, Jul 25 2010, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> delete-active-region is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
>> Its value is t
>>
>> Documentation:
>> Whether single-char deletion commands delete an active region.
>> This has an effect only if Transient Mark mode is enabled, and
>> affects `delete-forward-char' and `delete-backward-char', though
>> not `delete-char'.
>>
>> If the value is the symbol `kill', the active region is killed
>> instead of deleted.
>
> I've just discovered this and I hate it!
>
> I reckon I'll just have to (setq delete-active-region nil) and
> <flame-bait>live with being marginalised by all the new kids who want
> Emacs to be more like Windows</flamebait>.

It makes far more sense for the same commands to work on a region as
they do on a char "out of the box" in my opinion. Regardless of whether
you use Windows or not. If I hilite a region its to operate on it. And
delete is an operation. Still, the wonders of emacs customisations mean
that old curmudgeons can have their way too ;)