Re: dragging to resize windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: dragging to resize windows
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:13:28 +0100

> I use GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
> 2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian. I would like to use the mouse
> to change window sizes (by clicking and dragging) but I find it
> particularly difficult. The mouse cursor changes to <-|-> (for example)
> but dragging it does not seem to "grab". Is there anything I can
> customize to make dragging windows more friendly?

Emacs calls this dragging a modeline (to modify the height of windows)
and dragging a vertical divider (to modify the width of windows).  Can
you please give a bit more details about how these don't work on your
system?  From "<-|->" I conclude that you want to drag a vertical
divider which is indeed tricky and won't work if you have scrollbars and
no modelines.  The only location where the mouse "grabs" in this case is
the region between two modelines.

martin