Re: Using TRAMP on Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Using TRAMP on Windows
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:40:53 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> If the username is ommitted, it makes the assumption that the
>>> username is the same as the windows domain user.
>>
>> Which is usually a bad assumption.
>
> Why?
>
> If the user name is omitted I think it's a sane assumption and ties in with
> how
> ssh works for example.

We have dropped this default for ssh some weeks ago. It is not a sane
assumption to give ssh this value as argument; it overwrites settings in
~/.ssh/config. And in case there is no argument and no config setting,
ssh assumes the local user name by default, which is sane.

I don't know which username plink is assuming if no user is given as
parameter.

Best regards, Michael.