RE: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:20:56 -0800

> > The mere fact that Eli Z and David K have very different
> > interpretations of the potential problem(s)
>
> I didn't interpret anything.  I just read what Stefan wrote, and
> perhaps misunderstood him (though I don't think so).

I stand corrected.  Eli has apparently not yet interpreted the warning message.
(Dunno if that helps.)

I should have said that Eli and David seem to have very different understandings
of Stefan's _explanation_ of what the warning message means.

That in itself does not argue very strongly in favor of such a warning, does it?

Stefan is the one behind the existence of this warning, AFAIK (and the wording?
dunno).  He has several times now tried to explain it to people who are confused
(or annoyed) by it.

And yet (after emacs-devel discussions on and off since 2009) Eli and David
apparently interpret Stefan's explanations very differently...

If the warning message is unclear (to some at least), and the explanations of
what the message is about are also unclear (to some seasoned Emacs vets at
least), then maybe that's a sign - no?

> Anyway, this entire discussion is misplaced.  The right place to
> discuss this warning is on emacs-devel, if anywhere.

1. We've been there and done that.

2. Emacs-devel is no longer the only appropriate place to discuss or explain
this warning.  Now that the warning is out there in the wild and they are coming
into contact with it, users too are asking about it (in help-gnu-emacs).

FWIW, personally I've made my peace with it.  I thought this controversy was
over and dead.  But users will continue to discover the warning anew.  I doubt
that we have heard the last of it, regardless of what the message might really
mean.