suppress message in echo area

From: henry atting
Subject: suppress message in echo area
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:47:45 +0100

When auto-save is actived ever so often (according to
the variable `auto-save-interval) the message
`Wrote filename.txt` will be displayed in the echo
area. I know that there - currently - no possibility
exists to avoid this (because this message comes from
C and not from lisp).
This is really annoying (and I don't want to increase
the auto saving interval). Even customizing the color
of this message is not possible which could make it
sort of unvisible.
Is there at least a way to clear the echo area automa-
tically? If I don't continue typing immediately this
message will survive until the end of days (not tested)

henry