Re: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:54:27 +0000

On 3/14/2011 2:18 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Maybe let's have a break with that matter. Don't mix up VM :-)

Oh, no, I don't intend to give the impression that VM is mixed up in any way. Almost all the code written before the present compiler warning was using the save-excursion/set-buffer combination. It is in inherent in that combination that it covers up bugs involving unprotected point movements.

The only thing special about VM is that it deals with multiple buffers and switches between them a lot. So, it is incredibly hard to track down the unprotected point movements. For all I know, there could be a couple of problems. But it will be a lot of hard work to find them.

Cheers,
Uday