Re: Lose my face formats after saving file

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Lose my face formats after saving file
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:16:19 -0700

On 3/14/11, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net> writes:
>
>> I agree that it's confusing.  You need to enable Enriched mode to save
>> formatting.  (M-x enriched-mode)
>
> Maybe using M-o commands should suggest the user to turn enriched-mode
> on in buffer where it makes sense.

If it weren't such a major change I would suggest that those commands
should turn on enriched mode as a side effect.  I have code in my
.emacs that does exactly that.

Word processors like OpenOffice will at least warn you when you're
about to save a file with italics and underlining as plain text.
Emacs will warn you when you tell it to save a file with 8-bit
characters as ASCII.  There ought to be some indication that
user-inserted text properties will be lost.

-PJ