Re: Emacs with git slow?

From: S Boucher
Subject: Re: Emacs with git slow?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:21:24 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> To: S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I would understand a bit  of a lag if you were running Windows on a
> netbook, but running git on those  machines with GNU/Linux is practically
> instantaneous.
>
> Can you  replicate the problem with emacs -Q ? How fast `git status'
> executes from the  directories where one of those files are?

This is a git repository tracking webkit:

$ time git status
--snip--
real    0m2.321s
user    0m1.460s
sys    0m0.820s

$ time git status Widget.h
--snip--
real    0m0.490s
user    0m0.410s
sys    0m0.050s

Just checked with a smaller git repository (i.e. with ~100files), and things
are
supper fast:

$ time git status
--snip--
real    0m0.015s
user    0m0.010s
sys    0m0.000s

With emacs -Q: in a repository tracking webkit things are slow.  In a repo
tracking a small project, things are fast.