X forwarding emacs with XMing

From: CastingPearlsnight
Subject: X forwarding emacs with XMing
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:13:17 -0700 (PDT)

I use Emacs on a school Linux machine through Putty. Usually I just use the
text terminal, but for a project I had to get X forwarding working so that I
could use a GUI debugger.
I used the instructions here:
http://www.math.umn.edu/systems_guide/putty_xwin32.html
I started with x-win32 and that worked for both the debugger and Emacs, but
I wasn't getting the license code I needed to run for longer than half an
hour quickly enough, so I installed XMing for the time being. That worked
fine for the debugger, but every time I tried to run Emacs I got "Font
'9x15' is not defined."

I finally got the license code for X-Win32 and uninstalled XMing, but I'm
still getting the font error, even though it had worked before. Can anyone
tell me what went wrong?