Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:25:26 -0500

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:24:39 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>
wrote:

DD> I've installed OpenSSL 1.0.0 for Windows and customized the variable
DD> `tls-program' as such:

DD> ----

DD> '(tls-program ("C:/openssl-win32/bin/openssl.exe s_client -connect
DD> %h:%p -no_ssl2 -ign_eof"))

DD> ----

DD> I have my authentication credentials in ~/.authinfo.

DD> When I do M-x gnus, Emacs connects and displays a few successful
DD> messages in the echo area but then just hangs until I C-g.
DD> Note that the buffer of course doesn't contain the letters "^M", I
DD> merely translated the "C-q C-m" character to avoid any encoding issues
DD> that may or may not occur.

DD> So any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I don't use W32 myself so I don't know how to fix this (but it's a
common issue with the command-line utilities).  This morning I posted a
patch (half of it is from Claudio Bley) on emacs-devel, though, which
enables C-level GnuTLS support for Gnus so none of this is necessary.
It's against the Emacs trunk.  Do you want to try it out before it goes
into the trunk and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks
Ted