Re: void variable problem

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: void variable problem
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:19:49 -0400

In article <8762r98z78.fsf@engels.HistoricalMaterialism.info>,
 Haines Brown <haines@HistoricalMaterialism.info> wrote:

> Thank you and Eli for pointing out what should have been obvious to me.
>
> I was blissfully unaware of the Customize feature of emacs, and wonder
> why you recommend it in this case. As best I can make out, it creates a
> set of values for variables. But I don't see that the synonyms command
> requires setting values for variables, unless it is the name and
> location of the thesaurus and cache, which at this point I simply define
> in .emacs initiatialization. Why is it better to do it some other way?

The Customize feature allows you to assign these variables without
having to know anything about Lisp syntax.  Since you apparently don't
know Lisp, it seems like you're the target audience for the feature.

In particular, it knows which variables are supposed to contain strings,
and it will automatically quote them properly for you.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA