Using proportional (variable-width) fonts in Emacs23

From: Erin Brinkley
Subject: Using proportional (variable-width) fonts in Emacs23
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:22:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I'm using Emacs 23 now and LOVE using proportional fonts! (AKA variable width
fonts.) It FINALLY makes Emacs look beautiful, makes text easy to read.

But I discovered a huge problem: the fill and word wrap commands are hard coded
to work for monospaced fonts only! For instance the fill-column is based on
monospace fonts: if you use a proportional font and set the fill column to what
you think is a reasonable number, you'll soon find out that you are WRONG and
you get extra whitespace at the end of a line, and words will wrap! The only
way out is to set the fill-column to an insanely low number, and that's not a
real solution either!

I saw a copy of the old Emacs 21 manual online where it says that yes, you can
use variable width fonts but the fill and wrap commands aren't yet set up for
it. Something about how they were working on it. I'm curious how that's been
going over the years. Is there any support for these fonts in Emacs now? Anyone
know of a hack - kludge - tip - workaround I can try in the meantime? I love
how this looks but admit to going crazy here with all my documents having these
weird wrap problems.

Appreciate the help everyone!