Re: error in replace-match: "args out of range"

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: error in replace-match: "args out of range"
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 16:19:06 -0700

On 4/3/11, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 04:32 PM Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I'm just saying that
>>
>> M-: (some-regexp-search) RET
>> M-: (replace-match ...) RET
>>
>> won't always do what you want, because a whole lot of code will run
>> between the two.
>>

>>         Stefan
>
> Hmm.  I'm hearing "this is faith-based functionality."  Does it have to
> do with the fact that all processes running from one emacs session have
> the one and the same PID?  I recall reading a discussion on this list
> (which was largely outside my capacity) multiple years ago about some
> problem which 'would be resolved when threading is implemented.'  Is
> this an issue of that sort?

It sounds more like the sort of issue that would be *created* when
threading was implemented.

Based on what Stefan said, a more helpful question might be: what
happens between the call to match-string and the call to
replace-match?  Are they in the same function, and close together?
What can match-string tell you about the string you're trying to
replace?

-PJ