RE: emacs dired: unable to view deletion list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs dired: unable to view deletion list
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 20:30:41 -0700

> Thanks Drew. Found the problem. It is
> (defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)
> though, odd it should be that way. This can be considered a bug?

You might report a usability bug, to see what the Emacs developers think.

My guess, without looking too far, is that this is because `y-or-n-p' reads a
key directly (using `read-key') and looks it up in keymap `query-replace-map'.
The key sequences `C-M-v' and `C-M-V' are not defined there, and it doesn't seem
to look beyond that map.  In that map it only handles certain keys (see the
`cond' in `y-or-n-p').

These are the keys available in the keymap:

,----
| query-replace-map
| -----------------
|
| Keymap that defines the responses to questions in `query-replace'.
| The "bindings" in this map are not commands; they are answers.
| The valid answers include `act', `skip', `act-and-show',
| `exit', `act-and-exit', `edit', `delete-and-edit', `recenter',
| `automatic', `backup', `exit-prefix', and `help'.
|
| key             binding
| ---             -------
|
| C-g           quit
| C-h           help