Re: Past appointments

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Past appointments
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:10:56 -0400

Bastian Ballmann <balle@chaostal.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:30:47 -0400
> schrieb Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org>:
>
>> These days, though, I use org-mode, which has better support for
>> tracking events (as opposed to dates).  I still use diary for things
>> like birthdays.  I think there are some other scheduling packages
>> around with other capabilities, but I can't find any pointers at this
>> moment.
>
> well I use org-mode too but only found a tutorial that describes on how
> to save the dates to appt in order to get notified. It would be nice if
> I could use directly org-mode to send me the nofifications, but it
> should be possible to call my own function cause I execute a popup.

Well, yes, org-mode isn't really a replacement for all functions of the
diary or appointment packages.  But it integrates easily enough into
those that I wouldn't want to duplicate the functionality separately.

As I see it, there are a whole bunch of options here, any of which are
fairly easy.  One is just turn on appt and have org mode add your agenda
items to it.  Another is to run a timer in emacs that periodically
displays your agenda.  Or to run a cron job (or whatever periodic job
scheduler is on your system) to mail you a copy of the agenda daily do
something like extract your agenda and feed it to your cell phone.  If
you want emacs to do the notifications in real time, I'd use appt-mode;
that's precisely what appt-mode is for.