Re: emulate readline

From: despen
Subject: Re: emulate readline
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:44:57 -0400

fork <forkandwait@gmail.com> writes:

>  <despen <at> verizon.net> writes:
>
>> By default the up arrow just goes to the previous element.
>
> Yes.
>
>> This is close but not right:
>>
>> (define-key minibuffer-local-map [(up)] 'previous-matching-history-element)
>
> Cool!
>
> Is there a way to pass the text currently in the minibuffer to a function
> (which
> would be bound to "up" like the above)?

Well, I just tried what seemed "intuitive" and it seems to work.

I typed:

M-x

then

m C-r

That gave me a prompt for isearch backwards
with the "m" already in place.

I hit C-r again and it pulled out the command
I was looking for "man".

Then I hit return and got the completed M-x prompt
where I could then run the command.

Try it.

I think there's an option about nesting commands in the mini-buffer
that you may have to enable.  I have this:

(setq minibuffer-max-depth nil)