Re: error in replace-match: "args out of range" [SOLVED]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: error in replace-match: "args out of range" [SOLVED]
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 23:25:48 -0300

>> the problem wasn't a search, but with the read-from-minibuffer function.
>> For some reason, invoking that wipes out all the subexpressions.
> I don't recall reading about this.  If it's not already in the official
> documentation, how do we add it in?

There are two problems:

- you expect the doc to mention the functions that wipe-out the
  match-data (whereas what really happens is that only a few functions
  can be assumed to preserve that data and all others should be assumed
  to wipe it).  Hopefully this thread will fix this ;-)
- Emacs does not document which functions can be trusted not to wipe the
  match-data :-(

        Stefan