Re: Change C-d binding from delete-char to backward-delete-char-untabify

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Change C-d binding from delete-char to backward-delete-char-untabify
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 23:59:44 -0300

> Thanks, Andrea and Deniz. My usage of these functions has been
> unsophisticated enough that it doesn't seem to have made any practical
> difference. Here the current global map and the default global map
> appear to be synonymous. I haven't noticed any problems with mixing
> these functions promiscuously in org, text, lisp, tex, etc. modes.

`global-map' is pretty much always the current global map, except in
some unusual circumstances (e.g. it could be different within special
modes such as isearch, tho IIRC isearch does not affect the
current-global-map and uses another mechanism instead).
One of the main packages that uses use-global-map to change the
current-global-map is Viper.

        Stefan