Re: Adding total lines to modeline (NOT percentage)?

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Adding total lines to modeline (NOT percentage)?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 01:03:50 +0200

2011/4/14 Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com>:
> On 4/13/11 3:11 PM, fork wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to customize my modeline such that I can see the total
>> number of
>> lines of the current file?
>>
>> The percentage is not particularly interesting to me...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I use these forms in my `mode-line-format' variable to show
> "current_line/total_num_lines":
>
> (list 'line-number-mode "  L%l/")
> (list 'line-number-mode (:eval (int-to-string (count-lines (point-min)
> (point-max)))))

Note that this method will be affected by narrowing. To get the full
number of lines in the buffer use (1+ (count-lines 1 (buffer-size))).
This could also get rather sluggish when used in large buffers. The
best way would probably be to use a timer to recalculate the number of
lines in the buffer and then use that.

--
Deniz Dogan