emacs 23.3.1 deleted an encrypted file it was supposed to save.

From: Ben Pearre
Subject: emacs 23.3.1 deleted an encrypted file it was supposed to save.
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:40:11 -0600

Hi!

Emacs just deleted an encrypted file that it was trying to save.

I've been storing my passwords in a symmetrically GPG-encrypted file,
and editing them with emacs.

I used crypt++ in emacs21, but with emacs23 the support is built in.
It was working fine, until a couple of weeks ago.  Presumably a Debian
(Sid) upgrade--please tell me what version numbers are important and
I'll respond.

Opening an encrypted file works fine.  Saving it, not so much.  Emacs
freezes, and in X the mouse cursor changes to a "please wait" cursor
and stays that way.  I had to externally terminate emacs (I used the
window manager, I think).

Worse: my encrypted file was deleted.  All my passwords gone.

Ok--I have a backup.  But this could be a really devastating bug for someone.

Sorry if this is a known issue.  A cursory search didn't reveal
anything, but I wanted to open a conversation about this potentially
dire bug sooner rather than when I get around to poking through the
bug db.

Emacs version:
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.3)
 of 2011-04-10 on raven, modified by Debian

Cheers,
-Ben