Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 00:25:52 -0400

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 21:13, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Taylor Venable <taylor@metasyntax.net> writes:
>
>> I've found the location where the slowness creeps into kill-word and
>> friends. Looking at kill-region in simple.el, the part that is very
>> slow for my system is adding to the kill ring. If I comment those
>> lines out (as shown in http://paste.lisp.org/+2LWP) then the sluggish
>> response disappears. It's odd to me that I don't see this behaviour
>> when I start Emacs with -nw as I would (perhaps naively) think that
>> slowness in kill-region would be independent of what user interface is
>> active.
>
> On a graphical terminal, kill-new calls interprogram-cut-function to set
> the clipboard (or the X selection, for Emacs 23).  That may be causing
> the slowdown.  Could you set interprogram-cut-function to nil and see if
> it makes any difference?  If so, we need to figure out why
> interprogram-cut-function is slow on your computer.

Indeed, setting interprogram-cut-function to nil improves the speed
dramatically to the normal levels that I see on other machines and in
the console. The default value is x-select-text. The problem is also
fixed by setting x-select-enable-clipboard to nil.

I put my xorg log file on my website if it can be of any help:
http://metasyntax.net/Xorg.0.log

Thanks,

--
Taylor C. Venable