Re: reading compile.el, modifying settings

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: reading compile.el, modifying settings
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 09:13:44 +0200

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Sam,

>> ,----
>> | ;; foo is not defined before
>> | (setq foo 17)
>> | ;; now load its defcustom
>> | (defcustom foo 111
>> |   "Bla bla")
>> | ;; still has my value plus the props of the defcustom
>> | (cons foo (symbol-plist 'foo))
>> | ==> (17 standard-value (111) custom-requests nil variable-documentation
>> | "Bla bla")
>> `----
>
> that's my point - a custom variable is much more than just a
> symbol-value.

Yes, and my point is that setq does no harm either.

> I wonder, however, if my solution solves Paul's problem.

Ditto.

>> My emacs is highly customized in plain lisp only, so that I can
>> comment what I do and structure it according to my likings.
>
> Mine too - and I use custom-set-variables for all custom vars in
> ~/.emacs.  And, of course, both setq and custom-set-variables are
> "plain lisp".

Sure, with plain list I've meant any lisp not beginning with
custom-*. ;-)

But assuming you are right, why don't the docs state anything about that
users should use `custom-set-variables'?  And why is there no `setc'
macro for users preferring customization in lisp for setting variables,
which expands to a `custom-set-variables' form for defcustoms?

(info "(emacs)Init Examples") setqs custom variables quite happily...

Bye,
Tassilo