Re: efficiently viewing Unix timestamps as dates

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: efficiently viewing Unix timestamps as dates
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:18 -0000

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:28:03 -0300 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

SM> Well, I do think Emacs should make it easier for various packages to
SM> use the same property without stepping on each other's toes, but
SM> right now there isn't any good support for that.  The font-lock-face
SM> thingy is kind of a solution, but I don't think it's very convincing
SM> and would rather not use it for more things.  I've already outlined
SM> the way I think things should work, on emacs-devel a few months ago.

>> OK.  Would you say this is on the TODO list for Emacs 24.x, 25.x, or
>> "some day"?

SM> It's been on the TODO list for a while already.  Actually, I think it's
SM> reasonably easy to do (all the work is done when the properties are
SM> added/removed, so there's no need to touch any of the redisplay code).

I was definitely not paying careful attention to that discussion when it
happened on emacs-devel.  Can you give some references so I can catch up
with what needs to be done, since "display" and "properties" return too
many matches?  Even if I don't work on it I can at least understand the
history.

Thanks
Ted