Re: Strange "1;2600;0c" sequence in startup (message-mode?)

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: Strange "1;2600;0c" sequence in startup (message-mode?)
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:40 -0000

On Apr 26, 6:00 am, "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <p...@informatimago.com>
wrote:
> jes...@panix.com (Jesse Sheidlower) writes:
> > I have recently been seeing a strange sequence of characters when I
> > start Emacs up to send a message, either when sending a new message, or
> > replying to an existing one. I believe that this started when I began to
> > use message-mode. Typically it will be "1;2600;0c", inserted at the
> > start of a message, but I have noticed other numbers close to "2600" in
> > the middle section.
> It's the end of an escape sequence.  You're probably using emacs in a
> terminal, and there must be a discrepancy between what the terminal is
> really, and what declared in the environment variable TERM.  Or perhaps
> there's an error in the terminfo (or termcap) database.

It looks more like a response to the "Send Device Attributes" control
sequence.

If you're using gnome-terminal or some other terminal that uses vte,
that's
the likely explanation (can't google on this, since there's no useful
documentation
for vte).

Likewise, it won't be a problem with the terminal description, since
that feature's
only addressed in the (nonstandard) u8 capability, and emacs wouldn't
be using it.