Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?

From: despen
Subject: Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:02:10 -0000

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <icbozrvfyj.fsf@verizon.net>,  <despen@verizon.net> wrote:
>>Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> writes:

>>More important, a true emacs user has little need for a shell.
>
> You gotta be kidding -- no use for M-x shell????

Well, your first hint was "true emacs user".

Of course that is tongue in cheek.

I probably have the same definition of "true emacs user" as any other
sensible person has.

I used M-x shell for a few weeks and haven't been back in years.
Hence, my statement.

I'm under no illusion that others won't agree with me, but I have little
choice in the viewpoints I express.  They all seem to be mine no matter
what I do.

Anyway, just about everything I do is Makefile based.  I see lots of
people use Makefiles for the compile phase but I find  that the test
phase is intricately linked to the development phase and I combine both
operations.

It works for me and it works well, so I'll continue to push the viewpoint
unless someone can explain why it's better to jump into M-x shell and
start firing off random commands as if they may never have to issue them
again or somehow they won't work as well in the compile buffer.

--
Dan Espen