GDB ReRun/Switch Behaviour

From: Nordlöw
Subject: GDB ReRun/Switch Behaviour
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:02:10 -0000

I would like the command gdb on program X to instead switch to an existing
debugging session of X if it already exists instead of signalling an error
"This program is already being debugged" in gud-common-init. I believe this is
important as it makes the behaviour of gdb harmonize with the standard
behaviour of most other Emacs interactions such as, find-file, switch-to-buffer
etc, thus creating less confusion to the user.

So far I have modified the line containing

(error "This program is already being debugged"))

to instead do

(message "This program is already being debugged")

to at least prevent the error from arising. However, the function gdb does some
extra initializations that should not be needed that causes some unnecessary
delays. Is this a todo item or have I missed some gud/gdb-function that does
this already?

Many thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw